Although having children can be one of life’s greatest gifts, pregnancy and child-raising take a toll on one’s physical appearance. Changes to the shape and size of the breasts, excess skin in the abdomen, and deposits of fat in a variety of body areas can be very hard to improve without some help. A Mommy Makeover procedure is specifically designed to correct several aesthetic concerns associated with your post-pregnancy figure. Mommy Makeovers can include a combination of procedures to help you meet your needs, including breast augmentation, breast lift, tummy tuck and liposuction. Our experienced plastic surgeon, Dr. Eric Okamoto, can address any concerns you may have and develop a customized Mommy Makeover treatment plan to help you attain your goals.
What are the Benefits of a Mommy Makeover?
View the Gallery
Mommy Makeover surgery can enhance your appearance and boost your self-confidence after having children. Through a combination of customized procedures, a Mommy Makeover can:
- Eliminate excess fat deposits virtually anywhere on the body
- Restore volume, firmness, and balance to the breasts
- Minimize the appearance of stretch marks in the abdomen area
- Reduce excess skin in the abdomen and give the area a firmer, flatter appearance
During your initial consultation, Dr. Okamoto will discuss your goals with you and determine the best combination of procedures for your needs.
Mommy Makeover Procedures
A Mommy Makeover can rejuvenate your body after pregnancy through a number of individually-tailored procedures. Some of these procedures include:
It’s very common for the breasts to accumulate excess skin after pregnancy, taking on a sagging appearance. Breast lift surgery tightens the skin and gives the breasts a firmer, more youthful look.
Learn more about Breast Lift.
After having children, the breasts can become larger and develop excess skin and fat, which can be associated with issues such as back pain and other physical problems. A breast reduction can relieve these issues by removing excess fat or skin to make the breasts more proportionate with your body frame.
Learn more about Breast Reduction.
Breast Augmentation can be an ideal solution if you would like to restore or add volume to your breasts after pregnancy. Dr. Okamoto will discuss options for breast implants with you during your consultation to determine the best treatment plan.
Learn more about Breast Augmentation.
Liposuction targets and removes excess fat that has accumulated during and after pregnancy. Liposuction can be performed on several areas of your body including the thighs, hips, love handles, arms, and abdomen.
Learn more about Liposuction.
Tummy Tuck (Abdominoplasty)
A tummy tuck is designed to tighten abdominal muscles and eliminate excess, inelastic skin. The remaining skin is pulled taut for a smoother, firmer appearance.
Learn more about Tummy Tuck surgery.
What is the Recovery Like After a Mommy Makeover?
The amount of time it takes to recover from a Mommy Makeover depends on each patient and the types of procedures involved. Generally, patients should expect some temporary swelling and bruising within the treated areas following a Mommy Makeover. The recovery time can take anywhere from one to four weeks, depending on the extent of treatment. During your initial consultation with Dr. Eric Okamoto, he will discuss all aspects of your Mommy Makeover procedure, including what you can expect during the recovery process.
Mommy Makeover Recovery Tips
The specific post-operative instructions that Dr. Okamoto provides will be essential to your body’s healing process after your Mommy Makeover. With that in mind, Dr. Okamoto knows there are other factors in your life that may distract you from much-needed downtime. Below he has outlined some tips that, when combined with the post-surgery instructions, can make your recovery more manageable.
- Children – If you have recently undergone a Mommy Makeover procedure, chances are high you have children. The recovery process can take some time and dedication for your body to heal properly. Therefore, you won’t be able to dedicate the same amount of time and energy that you are accustomed to with your children. Before your surgery, talk with your children a little bit about what you are going through so they can understand why you won’t be able to play with them. If need be, seek out childcare from a family member or friend to help give you a reprieve when they are extra energetic.
- Home – Remember to ask for help during your recovery. While you might often be the leader and sole person in charge of running your household, it will be important to lean on friends. It would also be wise to pick up any supplies that you will need during your recovery, such as medication, bandages, and comfortable, loose-fitting clothing, before your surgery. If time allows, clean your home, prepare some meals, and get your home organized to make things a bit easier.
- Work – If you work a job that requires you to be in the office, be sure to request ample time off for your procedure and recovery. We recommend at least two weeks, but three weeks is better if you can get it approved. Remember that it is going to take time for your body to fully heal. Set realistic expectations for yourself and remember to take things slow and careful, even once you get back to work.
Will My Mommy Makeover Scars Be Visible?
The procedures that comprise your Mommy Makeover will determine the location and appearance of scarring, and the techniques utilized will also play a role in the size of the scars. When possible, Dr. Okamoto will place incisions in locations that can be concealed in skin creases or in other inconspicuous areas. For liposuction, incisions are often small and barely noticeable after the healing process. Tummy tuck incisions are typically made in the lower abdomen, above the pubic area. This location allows for patients to conceal their scars when they wear a bikini. Breast augmentation or breast lift scars will vary from patient to patient. In most cases, incisions will be made along the outer edge of the areola or natural breast crease so that scars can be concealed with a swimsuit or bra. Dr. Okamoto has many years of plastic surgery experience and he will make every effort to ensure that scarring is as unnoticeable as possible.
If you would like to learn more about the procedures involved in a Mommy Makeover, or if you would like to schedule a consultation with Eric Okamoto, M.D., please contact our practice today.
*Individual results may vary